Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Central Places by Delia Cai

 


As I ruminate over the story of Audrey Zhou, I am not certain if I liked it or not. Over an eight year period away from her parents and the small town she grew up in, Audrey returns with her fiance, Ben. She has cultivated a persona in New York far removed from the past. Her strong capable persona implodes as she sees the friends and family she left behind. Ben is mostly clueless about her relationship with her parents as Audrey has not chosen to share about them. Her mother is wrapped in disappointment with Audrey and never fails to voice it. Her father is quiet and resigned.

It is a story of history returning, lost relationships, and mistakes. I cannot say I enjoyed the story. It was interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment